How To Make: Moon & Star Mobile
Below provides some steps on how to make your own DIY paper moon & star mobile. Please use caution when doing any DIY project to prevent injury or accidents. This is a general guide and it is up to the project maker and/or instructor to exercise safety measures when assembling or using any materials for the projects. Thank you!
The materials listed below are what was used for this tutorial. Choice of using the material ideas below depends on how you prefer to create the finished project. For example, glue dots or double sided adhesive squares might work best while others may want to use glue sticks or hot glue instead.
- 8" Size Moon Shape
- 3" Size Star Shapes
- 2" Size Star Shapes
- 3" Size Cloud Shape #1
- 2" Size Cloud Shape #1
- 3" Size Could Shape #2
- 2" Size Cloud Shape #2
- Hole Punch
- Glue Stick
- Clear Thread
- Glue Dots
Basic Instructions With Pictures:
1) Assemble all star shapes into their 3D format. To make each star start with 4 star shapes all facing the same direction. Fold each in half so that they are symmetrical. Glue matching sides together as shown in the image on the outside of the fold.
2) Once there are two half 3D stars glue the two half shapes together. This will create a center hole region to string the thread through.
3) Make three hole punches in the bottom of the moon shape. This will be for the garland strands to hang from.
4) After deciding on a pattern for each of the three thread strands, string the stars by pushing thread through center of the star. Place a bead of glue underneath to help hold it in place. Our recommendation is to have about 3 ft of thread for each strand.
5) To string the cloud shapes, use two identical cloud shapes (one for front & one for back). Place a glue dot on one of the clouds and the thread on top of the glue dot. Sandwich the two clouds together so the thread is in between. Make sure to set a few of the larger cloud shapes aside to assemble onto the moon itself for punch hole coverage.
6) Once the three stands are assembled, tie one strand onto each hole punch. Use the cloud shapes that were set aside to glue onto the moons for covering hole punches.
7) The star & moon mobile should now be complete. To hang mobile feel free to add an extra hole punch at top and string thread for hanging or tape string onto the back side of the moon.