How To Make: DIY Swirl Painted Clay Leaf
Below provides some steps on how to make your own DIY swirl painted clay leaf. Please use caution when doing any DIY project to prevent injury or accidents. This is a general guide and it is up to the project maker and/or instructor to exercise safety measures when assembling or using any materials for the projects. Thank you!
The materials listed below are what was used for this tutorial. Choice of using the material ideas below depends on how you prefer to create the finished project.
- 3" Leaf Shapes (or larger depending on project size desired)
- Clay (we used air-dry clay)
- Thin/Small Tip Paint Brushes
- Wax paper
- Plastic Knife
- *Optional Magnetic Buttons To Turn Shape Into Fridge Magnet
Basic Instructions With Pictures:
1) Place wax paper on work surface. Roll clay out to a few millimeters thickness on wax paper and place shape onto center of clay.
2) Cut clay shape out using plastic knife or other utensil. We first outline the shape lightly and then cut off the clay in sections.
3) On a clean sheet of wax paper and after clay has full dried, pour paint colors into patches onto clay leaf. Take a smaller tip paint brush and use light up and down motions to start swirling the paint. Continue to do so until desired outcome. Careful not to over swirl as it will make the colors all combine to much and leave a muddy or single color result.
4) Once finished with the swirl process, gently lift clay leaf and place on a clean area of wax paper to dry.
5) After the paint drys on front, create an optional project: Paint the back side, let dry and glue on a magnetic button to make a fridge magnet.