How To Make: DIY Paper Turtle (Style 1)
Below provides some steps on how to make your own DIY paper turtles. Please use caution when doing any DIY project to prevent injury or accidents. This is a general guide and it is up to the project maker and/or instructor to exercise safety measures when assembling or using any materials for the projects. Thank you!
The materials listed below are what was used for this tutorial. Choice of using the material ideas below depends on how you prefer to create the finished project. For example, glue dots we found work best while others may want to use glue sticks or hot glue instead.
- 8" Size Cardstock Turtle Shape
- 6" Size Cardstock Circle
- 3/4" Height Cardstock Strips
- Sponge Paint Dabber
- Acrylic Paint
- Glue Dots
- Googly Eyes
Basic Instructions With Pictures:
1) Carefully cut a single line on the 6" circle from the bottom to the center.
2) Using acrylic paint and sponge, lightly dab a variety of colors throughout the top of the circle. Do not over-saturate to help prevent curling or warping of the cardstock once the paint dries.
3) Once the paint is dry, on one side of the cut edge apply glue dots and wrap circle into a cone shape. Push down on the glue dots once the cone shape is formed to hold the shape together.
4) On the inside of the cone place glue dots in a triangle style formation. The top center glue dot will adhere to the turtle neck region and the side corner glue dots will be for the belly band. Place the cone on top of the turtle, push on top glue dot to stick to top side of turtle base. Use cardstock strip to wrap around under the bottom side and cut-off any extra length to form a semi-tight band and attach to side glue dots.
5) Glue dot on the googly eyes if wanting to add some extra character, otherwise the DIY Paper Turtle is completed. Hold onto the bottom band to make your turtle act like it is swimming or to hang them on the ceiling or walls for decoration.